Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Always Learning.

I am realizing I am being schooled as much as Abby is. There is so much out there still to learn.  Its over whelming and exciting at the same time. There is so much to keep on top of.   Feels like my  head is spinning.  I have come such a long away since October.  I read what I wrote back them and it doesn't sound like me.

I have started to read "Making it Work:  Educating the Blind/Visually Impaired Student in the Regular Classroom"  by Carol Castellano.  Its a great book just what I need. I have and have had high expectations for Abby.
I am learning that I shouldn't try to protect Abby too much.  That I shouldn't over protect her.  That there is techniques I have ever heard of.

I wonder if there will ever be a point where I am no longer learning.  I expect as things change I will find more to learn.  I don't think it ever ends.

Abby is always learning too.  I got back Abby's most recent math assessment (they do one when they finish a section in their book.)  She got a 100%.  Abby is at grade level for math. (maybe a little better)   It was so much fun going through the different pages.  They adapted the assessment in so many different ways that it was impressive.  Some pages where enlarged, other had braille, other parts where done orally using larger tools (like her Braille clock)  and other parts had puff paint. She is slowly getting better at reading too.  She is working so hard all the time.  What an amazing thing Braille and other adaptations are making in Abby's education.

No comments: