Friday, January 28, 2011

Molly needs a cane too.

Abby loves American Girl dolls. She currently has 5. Now mind you I said currently and she does have a birthday in a few weeks.

When I realized Abby was going to be getting a cane I started a search for an American Girl white cane. I couldn't find any at all.  Not directly from American Girl or on the secondary market. I got conflicting reports that American Girl used to have a cane many years. I really wanted Abby to have one.   I realized that it wouln't be that hard to make one.  So I made two.

 Doesn't she look happy?  Abby loves them. It was great to make for something special  for Abby.  It only cost a few dollars for each one. To make your own  you only have to do the following:


  • Wooden dowel of appropriate size. I was able to buy a pack of six for only .98
  • black and red electrical tape
  • white craft paint 
  • a paint brush
  • cord of black fabric (i actually got mine from a gift bag)

It only took me a few minutes after the paint dried to apply the tape. I just taped the cord to the stick and wrapping it down to what seemed to be the appropriate length and then applied two rows of red tape at the bottom.

3 comments:

LindaLee said...

You have the craft gene, you made something awesome with love from your heart that put a smile on Abby's face and thats GREAT!

Tricia said...

Penny,

It looks great! Maybe you should make extra, so Abby can give it to a friend that like AG. You rock!

Anonymous said...

Too cool! They do a Gingerbread Lane fundraiser here for the Children's Center for the Visually Impaired where there are little white canes mixed in with the Christmas garlands--I thought they were pretty neat and was wondering how to make my own. Thanks!!